moderated Re: Social Norms and Financial Inclusion #ediscussionday1

Joel Patenaude

Greetings from New Jersey 

I’ve enjoyed reading from all of you.  Thank you for sharing your subject-matter expertise and thanks also to those who put this discussion event together.  

Two shares: 
One is a UK initiative that addresses social norms of a different type, relating to mental health.  Arguably the most prevalent social norm surrounding mental health is that we ignore it.  The Money & Mental Health Policy Institute has found that “people with mental health problems are three times as likely to be in problem debt”.   Recent research highlights challenges that arise when a friend or caregiver wants to help someone in a mental health crisis manage their finances.  The Institute is working with legislators, regulators, banks and other financial services companies to recognize these circumstances (which are more common than one might think) and to put systems in place to give some sort of standing to a 3rd party on spending decisions.

Second, Clarissa’s comment got me thinking of stability, and how difficult it can be to make forward progress in a unstable, or in Ghana’s present case, receding ecosystem.  

Here in the USA we benefit from great stability and there is a crazy amount of innovation around giving people control of their finances.  Quick list — if we took our time we could likely add 100 more startups in this space.

It might be interesting to evaluate these — and likely hundreds more in the USA, thousands more worldwide -- using a social norms lens.  Ultimately any product of this nature must 'zero in' on pain points, and given the sheer amount of activity in this space one would think that some of the fintechs might emerge as differentiating themselves in ways that address some of the issues around which this group focuses, and that might translate to the markets in which you operate.

Again, thanks for this interesting conversation.

Joel PATENAUDE

Mobile/WhatsApp       +1-973-650-4162  
SKYPE  joel.patenaude
Telegram @JoelPatenaude

On Jun 14, 2019, at 7:56 AM, Clarissa Kudowor <clarissa.kudowor@...> wrote:

Great insights on digital literacy initiatives in Nepal.

Unfortunately, I do not know if you are aware of the recent failures in the microfinance sector in Ghana. This is a big blow to financial inclusion (trust/confidence in the formal system) 

From: finequity.snediscussion@... [mailto:finequity.snediscussion@...] On Behalf Of Audrey Misquith
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2019 2:05 PM
To: finequity.snediscussion@...
Subject: Re: [finequity.snediscussion] Social Norms and Financial Inclusion #ediscussionday1

Hi all! Julia, interesting questions. I'd like to add some comments

1) Is the reason financial inclusion hasn't addressed social norms because we're essentially retrofitting microcredit into the formal banking sector? The banking sector has NEVER had to consider customer needs, let alone low-income women's social restrictions; it's very business model is: you need money? I have money....but you need to jump through these hoops to get it. 

Quite unsurprisingly, I think this is fairly true in some markets particularly in the South Asian markets of India and Nepal. It is true that banks in these countries never considered the needs of low-income customers particularly those of women in a thoughtful and nuanced manner. Even though there was/is an appreciation for a business case in terms of  volume(About 30-40% of India and Nepal's population can be considered low income), there is skepticism associated with the riskiness of low-income borrowers/depositors and their low literacy levels, potentially inhibiting further business expansion. Microcredit, although not a panacea to the ills of financial exclusion of the low-income populace(Read poor economics by Abhijit Banerjee and Esther Duflo) has found workarounds to the above problems through  group lending approaches, communal learning mechanisms and the like. Banks have tried to emulate these approaches piecemeal in some sectors but have not completely adopted the microcredit model. In Nepal for instance, although banks are mandated by the Central bank to direct 5% of their net credit to the deprived sector, banks direct these funds to MFIs that do most of the lending. 

I wouldn't link the above phenomenon to a lack of understanding of social norms, however. Quite the contrary, actually. I think microcredit as a solution has carefully analysed social norms and found ways to make finance work despite these norms. In other words, it has followed a "norms-aware" approach. Banks mimicking this is a good sign as they see value in designing around norms for low-income people. What's missing though(although this is changing)  as some Finequity members have pointed out is a direct response to shift social norms and combat them head-on. I think there is a free rider problem here. Banks do not want to take on the onerous responsibility of transforming how societies ought to be thinking about women's financial inclusion and economic empowerment. Clearly, it is not their core work.  The reliance is on governments, NGOs and other bodies to fill in. That's why in most markets we see banks working with these organizations in collaborative and complementary ways to help shift social norms. For example, in Nepal banks are patterning with SDC to bring digital literacy initiatives at the doorstep of dalit(marginalised) communities in Nepal. The idea there is an immersion-technique where the whole community gets involved to drive meaningful learning and associated capacities for action. 

Legal Disclaimer:

This communication is confidential and privileged, and access to it by anyone else is not authorized. If you are not the intended recipient of this communication,any disclosure, copying, distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please return it immediately to the sender then delete the message from your computer.

Join finequity.snediscussion@uncdf.dgroups.io to automatically receive all group messages.