moderated Re: Could behavioral insights and better design help? #ediscussionday2

Alexandra Fiorillo

Hi everyone! 

Thank you to Fiona for generously highlighting our work in Pakistan and to Nisha for pointing a spotlight on the use of human centered design and behavioral science in our work. You're exactly right! I wanted to offer information on the "outcomes" of our Pakistan work and also an offer for an additional example of HCD + behavioral design being applied to financial inclusion. 

Some "outcomes" of the Pakistan work: the designs we created for a new mobile money smartphone app were warmly embraced by the financial services industry in Pakistan and adopted by two of the four leading providers of digital financial services, JazzCash by Mobilink Pakistan and SimSim by Finja. I do not have current figures but by the end of 2017 (15 months after our design was made public to the financial inclusion industry), JazzCash's mobile wallet application had more than 420,000 downloads (up from 50,000 downloads prior to adopting our UI/UX). I'm not sure how the figures look now! Karandaaz Pakistan has more specific figures so perhaps Murium could share an update? I do know that as of the end of 2017, women represented 12% of users, which was up from <3% the year before. I do not have data for the SimSim app but perhaps Murium from Karandaaz Pakistan could share recent figures?

We recently shared results from an RCT the Inter-American Development Bank ran on a financial capability program we designed using a behavioral and human centered design approach for Banco Pichincha in Ecuador. Here is a link to my brief summary of the work / results: https://medium.com/@gridimpact/a-better-way-to-improve-financial-outcomes-for-microentrepreneurs-in-developing-economies-b8586bf4d41e

One of the more interesting findings from the RCT measuring the impact of our behaviorally-designed financial / business education training program was that the positive results are larger in magnitude for female than for male entrepreneurs. 

Women were more influenced to adopt the best practices from the training (an increase of 0.2645 standard deviations relative to the control group) than men (an increase of 0.064 standard deviations relative to the control group) and consequently experienced larger gains in sales and profits. An explanation or interpretation of the results from a forthcoming paper published by the IDB:

"We also find larger effects of the heuristic training for female entrepreneurs than for male entrepreneurs, mainly because women adopt the rules of thumb at a greater rate than male entrepreneurs do. The analysis also shows that results are stronger for entrepreneurs with low recall (in the digit span recall test), a measure correlated with the ability to use attention to avoid distractions. Based on the data collected at baseline, women in our sample are more cognitively taxed than men, suggesting that the gender results may be at least partially due to this fact. Overall, while we cannot draw definite conclusions, our results do suggest that cognitive load may \tax" entrepreneurs and influence the effectiveness of business training programs (both in general and across gender lines)."

I would be happy to share more details from the Ecuador results, including the details of the program design and how we attempted to be gender-intentional in our approach despite that not being a primary objective of the partner's efforts. 

Please feel free to reach out! And thank you again for the opportunity to share a bit more. 

Warmly, Alex Fiorillo
GRID Impact

Join finequity.snediscussion@uncdf.dgroups.io to automatically receive all group messages.